Wednesday 3 July 2013

Captain Sir William Widdrington's Photo Album...

June 1913- Observing those splendid fellows from Army White on Maneuvers. Popping in to have tea with Franz Joseph afterwards...

Mid June 1913- In the charming town of Thun I stayed at the castle which is the HQ of Army Red/White. In the company of the General I watched a demonstration of communication with homing pigeons. I was invited to write a message home to my regiment which was duly tied to the leg of a pigeon. The pigeon was released and it flew to the home of the Army Red/White Military attache in London who forwarded the message by hand to my Mess. Splendid service I say!


July 1st  1913- In the Duchy of Tradgardland I was lucky enough to meet the Duke himself who kindly showed me the statue of St Hermes in the Palace garden. It is a splendid piece of work and most fitting as the saint is rather popular in these parts. Played afterwards as a guest player in a cricket match against the Guild of St Hermes team. My spin bowling proved a great success.Rather odd tea of pickled Herring and Herring ale taken at half time.

No comments:

Post a Comment